From the Mat up's Online Store

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Week Three Already

Wow! I just took at look at my last post and realized I haven't updated since Friday! My husband and I are preparing to move across country next week, so things are a little crazy around the household. Thank goodness for yoga, right!?

Since yesterday and today's challenge sequences are repeats, I will do a short recap of Saturday's routine. Just a side note: In order to complete this sequence, you will need a comfortable chair that allows your feet to touch the floor.  Any ordinary kitchen or folding chair will do, or just make the most out of what you have.

Saturday marked day 13 (It's hard to believe we're already into the third week!) and focused on removing tension from the shoulders.  Unknowingly, many of us carry our stress with us, not only in our neck and back, but in our shoulders as well. This sequence allows one to work the tension out and let go of it, physically and metaphorically speaking.  And it is so gentle that it can be done by any skill level, seniors, and even expectant mothers.*

With all the stress I am under because of the move, this sequence came around at the right time. I really needed that 20-minutes of sitting, closing my eyes, and concentrating on nothing but the movement of my body and breath.  It allowed me to take a little time to myself and forget about what was causing me stress.

Yoga is more than just physical movements... It's also about the meditative experience one can have while doing it.  By completing this sequence, I was able to harness my stress and redirect its energies toward something more productive, such as writing this post.  So, if your shoulders are feeling tighter than usual, take 20-minutes to self-medicate. Om Namah Sivaya.


*If you are expecting or have any medical issues, it is recommended to have any fitness routine evaluated by your doctor.



No comments:

Post a Comment