From the Mat up's Online Store

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Spinach Lasagna

Upon checking my email today, I noticed that today's challenge is the core sequence again. I love that sequence, but I won't bore anyone by repeating how I feel about it. So while making dinner, I was thinking of what I could right about today instead. And then it hit me, I could write about what I was having for dinner!

An important part of the yogic lifestyle is a vegetarian diet. When I found this out, I was highly concerned. How would I ever be able to give up meat!? But I am now nearly four-months clean and haven't really missed it.  In fact, I was nearly sick last night watching my husband cut into a steak at dinner (Which I did not cook. I refuse to prepare or clean up after meat products.) I had to get up from the table!

Tonight, I decided to prepare a quick and easy vegetarian dinner: Spinach Lasagna. It's delicious and the best part is, it's meat free! Take a look at the recipe and give it a try. :)

Vegetarian Spinach Lasagna:
Oven Temp: 350
Cook time: one hour
Serves 4

What you will need:
8 lasagna noodles (I like to use the precooked kind)
1 (10 oz) packaged frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 (24-oz) jar marinara sauce
1 cup mozzarella
parmesan, to taste

*** I personally try to buy organic products. Also, you may want more or less mozzarella depending on your taste. :) I also use a small glass dish to cook the lasagna in... It's about an 8x8.

-Preheat the oven. Prepare noodles as directed on packaging (A great reason to use precooked!)
-Squeeze the water from the spinach and place in a large bowl.  Add the lemon juice, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
This is the order that I like to layer:
1. 1/4 jar of sauce
2. 2 noodles, 1/4 cup mozzarella, 1/2 of spinach mixture, 1/4 jar of sauce
3. 2 noodles, 1/4 cup mozzarella, 1/4 jar of sauce
4. 2 noodles, 1/4 cup mozzarella, 1/2 of spinach mixture, 1/4 jar of sauce
5. 2 noodles, 1/4 cup mozzarella

I also like to put a bit of parmesan on top, but you may not. Once you have it prepared, cover with tinfoil and cook for 45-minutes.  Remove tinfoil and cook for 15 more minutes. And then voila! Served with a side-salad, you have a nice, healthy vegetarian dinner that was easy to make. And to make life even more simplistic, you can prepare the dish early, refrigerate, and bake later.

Mmmmm... Cheese.

Look at those delicious layers!


Let me know if you decide to try this delicious meal. Om Namah Sivaya!

No comments:

Post a Comment