From the Mat up's Online Store

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 6: Open those hips!

Today's sequence was a very special treat for me: A hip day! I love, love, love yoga hip stretches.  Once again, we get another great workout from Rebecca Urban.  I think out of all the teachers, she is my favorite.  She and her model seem to always be very well prepared, and she is always so precise and encouraging.  Plus, anyone who starts a routine in child's pose gets an A+ in my book. ;)

I really liked how Rebecca started today with warm-up exercises (child's pose, cat-cow, shoulder to hip).  Warm-ups are so important, especially when opening the hip, because they help the body adjust more readily to the intensity it's about to go under.

I was surprised, however, when the routine only called for a half pigeon instead of a full.  I really enjoy relaxing into pigeon, and I feel that it is an important hip-opener.  But I was pleased that she included things such as "rocking the baby" and a modified cow face pose.

Half Pigeon
If you're a newbie to yoga and are giving today's challenge a try, don't be surprised if you can't get as deep as you want into the pose.  I know a lot of people who have been practicing for years that have limited hip mobility.  Just remember to never push yourself too far, and never try to compensate with your knee. Manipulating your knee in order to push your hip further can result in serious injury. Just be happy where you are and the flexibility will come in time.  Om Namah Sivaya!

No comments:

Post a Comment